Conflict is natural. Knowing how to communicate your thoughts and feelings with people who have different points of view is important! Every opinion adds value and offers different perspectives.
When dealing with conflict, ask yourself the following questions:
- What is the source of the conflict? Do you and the other person have differing opinions, perspectives, or motivations?
- Is your relationship important? Do you want to do what is best for the long run?
- Is there hope of improving the situation?
Then follow these next steps:
- Explain your point of view of the issue.
- Explain how you are feeling about the conflict.
- Let the other person know your worries about the outcome.
- Be prepared to compromise.
Relationships can be stressful. Knowing how to properly portray your thoughts and feelings without getting into a heated argument will help save your relationships and make communication much more effective.
Remember: make sure your own opinions are respected while you’re respecting those of others.